Sunday, July 02, 2006

Eastern Europe...what's not to love?

Eastern Europe so far (basically 4 days in Prague and 1 day in Budapest) has definitely lived up to expectations. Beer is both cheap and good, wine is delicious, music has been plentiful, and the American tourists are a-plenty. If prague wasn't so big it would start to feel a bit like Solvang. Fortunately its large enough for one to realize that they're actually in Europe rather than a bizarre Euro-centric community in middle-California. This has been a week of many highs and lows.
Highs -
-Realizing that staying in apartments is WAY better and cheaper than staying in a hotel
-Listening to a woodwing sextet play "czech composer's greatest hits"
-Seeing beautiful people again after being in unattractive places for so long. Yes, the czechs are hot. I hear the croatians are even hotter. Sadly the only real czechs we saw were out cute little waitresses, but they were hot nonetheless
Lows
-Realizing that the Turkish delight I bought in budapest is nowhere near as good as the fresh stuff from down in bodrum...sigh
-Finishing "The Historian"...i was sad because I wanted it to go on forever!
-Further realizing just how cheap China was when paying $10 for a meal seems like highway robbery
So now the only crises in my life are the following. As usual advice would be appreciated:
1) Financial aid - I need to do the paperwork and get it started, but honestly who has the time?
2) Fat - I seem to be accumulating it, which bodes poorly for Billy's wedding in which I need to squeeze my ass back into my navy Joseph Abboud suit for a day. Gonna be tough.
3) Lodging/Ferry/Train - Due to a weirdness in my schedule I have 3 days to get my ass from Dubrovnik to Rome via ferry (8 hour) and train (4 hour) in order to catch my flight to madrid and subsequently to Spain. I need to figure out logistics, but right now I'm thinking 2 nights in southern Italy, 1 night in Roma, 2 nights in Madrid before my magic flight back to the motherland (USA).
4) NYC in June - For those of you there that I haven't seen since December, we must hang out! i"m planning 2 days in Washington DC, but otherwise I want to see people. Hit me up if interested or I might be hitting you (up that is)
5) Sunburn - I got a nasty one on my neck in turkey and now its peeling. SO GROSS. I haven't been this tan in years, and I realize now that I don't like it. Maybe i can make it disappear!
OK, thats all you get now. I finished the Historian and now I'm reading a book about ancient religions....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home