Sunday, July 02, 2006

Xinjiang Fun, Catherine's Chinese Fun, Bizarre Dream Fun: Part III

BIZARRE DREAM FUN
No, I didn't dream about a bazaar. However, on my last night in XinJiang I had a bizarre and rather baffling dream about myself posessing superpowers. Actually, this isn't the first time in a dream that I have possessed superpowers. Actually I typically am able to fly, and telekenesis is usually not out of the question either. In fact, sometimes I also have the ability to see into the future, which is a little weird to dream about. But this time I had the choice, which was a little strange, but I had to write what I wanted down (presumably on the ground) and would receive what I asked for. Examples include: "The RIng of Invisibility", "THe Belt of Strenght" or "The Teleportation Shoes". Really the dream was a bit like playing the old "legend of Zelda" where you pic up little weapons along the way. It was good fun. But sadly when I woke up I was forced by my own sense ofcuriosity to analyse this dream, and the only thing I would come up with was that I currently feel a little powerless and lost and these dreams about superpowers show me that I crave control or at least sense of direction.
What do you think?!
I also thought I would share with you the following:
1) Bizarre recurring dream from college: In this dream (what I will refer to as "The Donut Dream") I am in a donut store surrounded by delicious donuts, and I literally can't decide what I want. All the donuts look so delicious, and for some reason I also want the biggest one! So I sit there pondering donuts for what seems like a very long time, never knowing whether to take the simple glazed donut, the bear claw, the weird strawberry glazed one that sometimes is good, the twist (basically the standard glazed in a different shape), or something else. Sometimes the muffins look good! Anyway, in the end I choose something (FYI, its usually the Apple Fritter) and wake up right before the delicious first bite. When I wake up I usually crave a donut.
In college I had this dream a lot, and my friends insisted that the whole thing was about sex, with the round shape of the donut and its delightful whole providing a cunning vagina-symbol. To that I have no real response. Thoughts? These are the same friends that first introduced me to the idea that the whole movie Grease is all about sex. I didn't believe them at first, but when I watched it again I started to wonder what I had been blinded by all my life! What's next? Is "Three's Company" all about sex too?!?!?!
2) Business School Essay - This one was a "risk essay" meaning that I thought it would either work like a charm or end my chances immediately. I couldn't have been more wrong, as I was promptly waitlisted, and on the waitlist for that school I remain! Enjoy!

Describe a personal characteristic or something in your background that will help the Admissions Committee to know you better.

I don’t talk about it much, but one personal characteristic has driven me time and again to most major life decisions. It has shaped my values, guided my leadership style and interpersonal interactions, and has often been my greatest downfall. Of course that characteristic would have to be my all-consuming LUST FOR POWER.

Upon first meeting me, it is hard to believe that I’m consumed by lust, especially LUST FOR POWER. I am neither dominating not controlling. The power I crave isn’t the power to command or control others, but power to control my own destiny, the power to influence personal outcomes, and the power to create.

Power means self-determination. My most important decisions in life have been made to preserve or exercise this power: leaving my family to go to school, leaving my friends in NYC to live abroad, and leaving my career at Citigroup to start a new life. Even choosing to work in investment banking was a demonstration of my desire to live unfettered from debt. Power means being able to try new things without apologies. It means freedom and self-reliance.

Influencing outcomes and affecting change are exercises in power. There is no better means to do so than through the spread of one’s ideas. I have found that communication is the best way for me to influence both people and outcomes, whether through tutoring, training, being a mentor in the office, recruiting, creative writing, or even the performing arts. Similarly, I prefer to lead through education, as a teacher and mediator, rather than a field captain telling people what to do. Real power is about changing people’s minds, not commanding their actions.

For me, the greatest exercise in power is the act of creating something new, something that is unique to me. The creations themselves could vary widely. A great onstage performance, telling a good story, building a useful and robust financial model, or even forging a bond of friendship are all acts of creation that bring me a tremendous sense of accomplishment, often the most satisfying validation of one’s power. In order to achieve this I strive to accumulate knowledge about the world around me, including politics, history, commerce and economics, culture and language. I will forever pursue a breadth of knowledge about the world and its people as the fuel for creative power.

Lust for power has driven many of my decisions, but has also been a great vice. Almost 30, I am still nowhere near marriage or starting a family, both goals that I, and society, value highly but that have been superceded by my overwhelming needs for self determination and greater knowledge about the world. The type of power that I pursue comes at a price. It’s a characteristic, personal and precious to me and often resulting in positive outcomes, but I never said it was a true virtue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home