Saturday, August 02, 2008

Orangutan Adventure

OK, it wasn’t much of an adventure. I got picked up from my hotel and came to Bukit Lawang. From here I went with a guide into the orangutan preserve and national park where I proceeded to see ZERO orangutans. Three hours of sweat-drenched (did I mention that its hot as fook here and like 100% humidity) bug-infested trekking and 20 minutes of inner-tubing down the river later, I was back in my little boarding house bathing myself out of a plastic tub of cold water.

BUT, on the way back from buying some bottled water I saw, just across the rivr, a LONE orangutan lumbering along. Sadly nobody here seemed to CARE that there was an orangutan. I know this because I kept pointing and telling anyone who I saw “ada orang utan! Di sana!” (there’s an orangutan! Over there!), to which they smiled and continued about their business, which for the most part appeared to be gathering dead fish from the shore of the river, tying inner tubes together, or playing soccer.

It was a small victory for me that I choose to cherish. Tomorrow I will have the real adventure: a 3-4 hour bus ride back to Medan! I’m scared mommy….

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger savetheorangutan said...

try Samboja Lestari in East Kalimantan operated by the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation-the largest primate rescue project in the world.
Check out www.sambojalodge.com or www.savetheorangutan.co.uk

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"daddy, i need to potty"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home