Saturday, July 19, 2008

First week of Bahasa Indonesia Class DONE

Despite claiming to be finished, I am once again BACK IN SCHOOL! This time I’m attempting to learn bahasa Indonesian, which has been heaps of fun. My days this week have consisted of waking up, eating breakfast, 6 hours of intensive language classes, scrounging the streets near my homestay/school for fried street food (the best stuff is always fried), doing some homework, and going to bed Oh, I also fill in the time gaps by making hotel reservations online for the various random places I will be seeing before I head back to the states.

So today I left my homestay and moved into a hotel. I was sad to go, as my host parents (who I think are younger than me) are incredibly sweet. Maman is a videographer, and Laras is an English teacher. Interestingly Laras has decided to wear the jilbab (head scarf), so I have never seen her hair. When I first saw them (Maman with a short beard and Laras with her jilbab) I thought they were going to be quite a stern muslim couple, but it turned out that they are HILARIOUS! Anyway, it was a sniff-sniff moment to leave the homestay, but as soon as I took a nice hot shower in my western-style hotel bathroom I felt better about the decision. Right now is peak season in Yogya, so the homestay was full!

In addition, I spent much of today on the back of a motorcycle touring around various temple ruins of 8th century hindu and muslim temples (think Angkor-Wat). On the back of the motorcycle all I could think of what the Indiana jones them song!! I am so lame. We (myself and the two other students that I have totally attached myselves to here) were considering staying at the temples to watch a Ramayana ballet performance by moonlight tonight (full moon), but after schlepping around in the hot sun all day we put a stop to those plans with a resounding “oh hell no!”

Now I have been fed, saw some live music (nothing to write home about, and yet here I am writing about it!), and I’m getting ready for bed. Life is hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home