Friday, March 31, 2006

Quickie from the Road

I'm at a Pacific Coffee (the low budget starbucks in Hong Kong that I actually prefer simply because its NOT starbucks) waiting until 3:30 when I can get my haircut from Davy, who is my surly hong kong haircut guy.

Dan's Haircut People:
New York - Hiroshi, the meticulous and super friendly flamboyant japanese hair artist who spoils me with tales of okonomiyaki and wows me with his exploits as the hairdresser of Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Naomi Campbell.  His wife once cut my friend Ella's hair.   I once cheated on Hiroshi and to see Heidi, who cut my friend Ishika's hair, but I felt too guilty and also the hair grew out badly, so I went back to Hiroshi. 

Hong Kong - Davy, the surly motorcycle riding cantonese fella who always says terrible things about my previous haircuts every time he sees me.  Last time he said "your hair is such a mess.  Don't worry, I will fix it."

Sydney - Sadly I forgot her name, but she was a really cool welsh girl who kinda looked like boy george if he were a woman.  She always wore a lab coat and did funky things with her makeup.

Funny asides about my two things:
1) Ishika stopped going to heidi, because she didn't cancel in time and was told that she would be charged $50 anyway.  Rather than pay, she had to blacklist herself from Heidi, which sucks because Heidi's joint is only a 3 minute walk from the Citi-mothership

2) I bought some product once from Davy's Salon in Hong Kong for the steep price of HK$150 (about US$20).  Anyway, I once crashed on Colleen's couch and she saw the product with the $150 price tag on it and thought I paid $150 for hair product!  THEN she emailed Melissa and told her, and they BOTH believed I would spend $150 on hair product!  I mean, I can be high maintenance, but that is ridiculous!  Sometimes I wonder what kind of image I have cultivated!

Anyway, enough about my hair!  I don't have too much to say.  I'm hitting rugby sevens tomorrow, which is HK's biggest citywide party and a huge draw for pasty commonwealthers from across the globe.  I told this to my friends Melissa and Jack (the same melissa that believed the hair product thing, see above) that you know you've been in China too long when you go to hong kong and think to yourself "Wow!  Look at all the white people!", but its actually true.  Actually, I think there are extra white people this particular weekend.

Anywhom, my goals for this weekend are the following:

1) Get haircut (CHECK!)
2) See Cordie and Bernice since I didn't really get to so much last time
3) Eat non-chinese food (yeah, not exactly the perfect town for it, but I figure I can get some thai or indian that will make me quite happy)

Alright, this wasn't much of a quickie, nor was it very straightforward, but at least its not as retarded as my last entry, right?

I should have titled this one: Dan is a high maintenance WIFI whore

2 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Random Thinker said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU could have so spent $150 USD on hair product. Just admit it :) Melissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home