Friday, February 24, 2006

First Day in Beijing

Its funny, because all the advice about the program I got so far has been wrong.  Apparently the program used to be in the outskirts of Beijing near all the universities in a crusty old building with terrible internet access.  Ironically, they have moved into a brand new building in the Central Business District with great internet connections!  Classes start tomorrow and we'll see if I actually learn anything!  Fingers crossed.

Otherwise, today has been uneventful.  I only have like 2 airborne tablets left, which is freaking me out.  I know they probably don't have any actual effect, but the psychological benefit of something that you just take and feel better can be huge.  Hopefully I can find the equivalent product here in the land of the rip-off fake products, so I'm assuming they must have a ripoff of Airborne tablets, right?

Anyway, I'm happy to see that most of the other students so far are also absolute beginners.  True, I took an 8 week class in NYC, but it was so short and I really don't feel like I learned a whole lot.  Well, maybe I did, but I have been having a hell of a time trying to communicate with people.  Bring on the classes!!!

OK, time for my gastrointestinal update - Don't Continue if you are easily grossed out!
So I haven't gotten the runs yet!  I am so happy, but I don't want to speak too soon as I'm almost positive it will happen here in China.  Its really just a question of when.  I had them once when I went to Bangkok after B. Bea convinced me to eat Som Tum salad off the street…SUCH a bad move…followed by some street durian (also possibly a bad move).  I was sure I would have problems in Indonesia but I didn't!  Seriously, I was totally psyched.  Here in China I'm not really sure what will happen.  However, I did eat some spicy stuff today (Sichuan style spicy…slow burning…) that probably will give me some problems.  Cross your fingers for me and for my stool!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home