Friday, February 10, 2006

Melbourne - Fun facts from Australia

This cafe has free WIFI, which is my favorite thing in the whole world (that I can't eat).

OK, so here are some fun facts about Australia trip to wet your appetite:

1) I flew down last minute to Melbourne and went for drinks with my mate Vivek who I worked with telephonically for a year or so but never actually met. We ended up at like 3 divy bars last night, each with its own live cover bands. Unlike Sydney, Melbourne hasn't outlawed smoking and I subsequently reek like an ashtray

2) Melbourne rocks. I want to live here.

3) I spent a decent part of this morning debating if I want to ring up my old boss who lives in Melbourne. Finally I got the courage to ring and see if he wanted to grab coffee (if you know this guy you understand why it was such a debate) and it turns out he's in Sydney today! How ironic!

4) Vegemite shits all over marmite. I forgot how much i love a good slice of sourdough toast with butter and vegemite. Its like the perfect anti-hangover remedy.

5) Australians have so many words for female genetalia, and two nights ago I feel like I heard them all. Words I would never have known had I not come here. Some I knew, some I heard for the first time. My three favorites are: c*nt (a classic really), twat (has a bit of an upper class feel to it), mut (pronounced moot...very old school) and my new favorite is minger (or minge for short).

6) It took me several days to remember how to speak the Australian dialect (no the accent, the expressions and stuff). Por ejemplo, I totally messed up ordering coffee. I was all "can I have a tall black?" and they were all "you mean a LONG black?" and I was like..uh...yeah. It was like messing up a masculine/feminine article in spanish/french. Je voudrais un pamplemousse. Oops! UNE pamplemousse.

OK, thats all you get for now. More fun notes soon. Have a dinner party tonight, drinks with McWilliam tomorrow (top bloke) and then my big flight to DARWIN coming up.

Stay tuned.....

1 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice terms for female genitalia. We just got back from St. Kitts and one of the locals gave us his CD - it had a song on there called, "Nuni Juice." Apparently "nuni" means the same as "twat." Pretty funny. He also said women are often called "turkey" and men are "turkey mashers." I've gotta go run and get my turkey mashed because there is nuni juice all over the place....see, it doesn't even sound dirty because I didn't say vagina. haha.

OH - his other song was called Chocolate Lover. There was another one called, Oops. hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home